Security issues with 1.1.3 flatfile

d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com
Mon Aug 1 23:08:37 CEST 2011

Currently running 1.1.3 on CentOS 5.x.

I am currently using the flat file option and it works just fine as long
as the permissions on the file are:

      664   RW-RW-R-

      Record in the file looks like:

            Tom <tab> Auth-Type := Local, User-Password := "tompass"

This allows everyone to read the file - not good security.

If I change the permissions to 660 RW-RW---- then freeRADIUS will not
restart.

I started setting up freeRADIUS to use MySQL DB for access but I must
have something setup incorrectly.

I tried to follow the How-To but still must be missing something in the
setup.

I have inserted a record into DB=radius and TALBE=radcheck where:

      Id = selected by the MySQL as the next index number

      UserName = tom

      Attribute = 'Cleartext-Password'

      Op = ':='

      Value = tompass   is the password

So my questions are:

1.   Is there a way to just secure the flatfile permissions?

2.   Is there a complete How-To for using MySQL with freeRADIUS?

Thanks,

Tom Schmitt

Senior IT Staff - R&D

L-3 Communication Systems West