[freeradius+mysql]pap method

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Aug 2 07:41:42 CEST 2011

2011/8/2 gary <gary.yang at browan.com>

> Hi All
> I configure the NAS client as pap method for user authentication.
> But through the packet analysis by wireshark it appears "Encrypted".

To debug radius problems, it's much easier and informative to run
debug mode (radiusd -X) instead of using packet sniffers.

> Is it normal or any incorrect configure on NAS or Freeradius server?

Yup, that's normal. From http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2865.txt :

   Network Security

      Transactions between the client and RADIUS server are
      authenticated through the use of a shared secret, which is never
      sent over the network.  In addition, any user passwords are sent
      encrypted between the client and RADIUS server, to eliminate the
      possibility that someone snooping on an unsecure network could
      determine a user's password.

If the shared server is correct, the radius server will be able to see
the password as clear-text (i.e. unencrypted, exactly the way user
enters it). This is different from (for example) mschapv2, where the
radius server can't see what the clear-text password is by simply
looking at what the client sent.

--
Fajar