max users in radius

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Aug 2 23:54:21 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:37 AM, ANGEL RICO GUZMAN <angel.rico at upaep.mx> wrote:

>  Hello Alan.
>
>  Thank you for your support.
>  At this moment I don´t think if authentications per second matter.
>
>  So,  I suppose that  there aren´t limit for concurrent users...right?

Short version: yes.

Long version: depends.

Some setups use interim-update, where the NAS would send accounting
packets to radius at a specified time interval for every connected
user. Each accounting packet would usually equal to disk write (either
to detail file or database). While freeradius itself doesn't enforce a
hard limit, your disk will most likely be a limiting factor since it
has limited IOPS. So if you use short interim update interval (e.g. 5
minutes), and you log accounting packets to database, and you have
slow disks, then you'll probably see a practical limit of number of
concurrent users before the radius server becomes unbearably slow.
Again, the limit is not in freeradius.

--
Fajar