num_answers_to_alive

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Aug 5 02:35:35 CEST 2011

Stefan Winter wrote:
> the configuration of 2.1.10 has the parameter num_answers_to_alive in
> proxy.conf. Looking at the source code, I found that instead, in
> realms.c, the config option num_pings_to_alive is used. num_answers is
> read from the config, but never referenced.

  No.  Both reference the same entry in the home server structure.  The
proxy.conf file is correct, and it works.

> If that's the case, then the config option in proxy.conf should be
> changed to be num_pings_to_alive, otherwise people will likely fail to
> tweak the value.

  But they're not "pings".  The name "ping" existed for a short time in
2.0, and was quickly removed.  It's still there for backwards
compatibility, and will be removed in 3.0

> Speaking of tweaking the value, I also found
>
>        if (home->num_pings_to_alive < 3) home->num_pings_to_alive = 3;
>        if (home->num_pings_to_alive > 10) home->num_pings_to_alive = 10;
>

> The documentation says that 3..10 are *useful* ranges, but doesn't
> mention that everything else is forbidden. In particular, I would like
> to use 1, not 3. The idea is: the server was dead before, but now it
> managed to send a reply back - so it must have been fixed. I would like
> to mark it alive immediately. Is that unreasonable?

  If you want... but it's really not a good idea.