SSH to use CHAP

chesschi chesschi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 15:27:54 CEST 2011

Hello!

I try to authenticate ssh users via PAM using FreeRadius. Is it possible to
use CHAP for the authentication between radius server and radius client?

SSH client -> SSH server <- PAM -> Radius Client <- CHAP-> Radius Server

For example, if I specify in radius server to use CHAP auth-type for a
particular user, e.g. in users file:
sshuser Auth-type := Chap, Cleartext-Password := "xxx"

When I use an SSH client to login, the following error is shown in radius
server.
[chap] rlm_chap: Attribute "CHAP-Password" is required for authentication.

So is there a way to actually specify the CHAP-Password in radius client so
that it can be authenticated via CHAP? If yes, which file I should modify?

Thanks a lot!!!