SSH to use CHAP

chesschi chesschi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:56:14 CEST 2011

Thanks for your reply Alexander!

Actually I have already implemented a radius client that communicate with
radius server using CHAP for SSH connection (i.e. I got one set of username
and password for SSH login and another set for radius login). The radius
server will store all the key user credentials.

To be more precise, the thread I posted yesterday is actually for SFTP and I
would like to make use of the similar approach and the user credentials
stored in radius server.

Existing:   SSH client   -> SSH server             -> My Radius Client <-
CHAP-> Radius Server
Proposed: SFTP client -> SFTP server <- PAM -> Radius Client      <- CHAP->
Radius Server

Apart from PAP, an alternative option for the authentication between radius
server and radius client is PAM. I am not familiar with PAM. Do you how how
secure it is? Will it send the clear-text password (or hased?) for the
authentication?

Thanks.