Radius Testing Tool

Ben Brown bbrown at plus.net
Fri Aug 19 11:55:40 CEST 2011

Morning all,

A few months ago I was changing part of our RADIUS platform. I wanted to
thoroughly test the change I was making in our test environment, so I
captured a few thousand RADIUS packets from one of our live servers
using tcpdump, then used tcpreplay to fire them at the test radius
server and then set about comparing the output.

I quickly found this to be very tedious and time consuming, so I started
looking for a program that would read in the pcap file I'd made with
tcpdump, fire the packets at the test server and compare the packet it
got back with the response packets in the capture. After some googling I
couldn't find anything, so I decided to write one.

After using it successfully to test my change, I convinced the
management here to let me open source the resulting code, which you can
now get from:

https://gitorious.org/radreplay/

Now I am a developer, but an Engineer, so my C might not be the best,
however I've found this very useful and thought other people might also
find it useful. It's simple to use and the output is fairly easy to
interpret.

It builds and runs fine on 32 and 64 bit Debian GNU/Linux, and doesn't
have any dependencies other than the standard c library so should build
and run pretty easily on other UNIX based platforms, YMMV. I've
distributed the debian directory with it so if you are using Debian you
can build a package.

Obviously I can't fully support this, any work I do on this is now in my
own time, not on the company's time, but if you find problems with it or
have suggestions let me know and I'll try to see what I can do. Or if
you have improvements clone it and send me a pull request!

Regards,

Ben

--
+ --------------- Plusnet - ISPA Best Consumer ISP 2008 ---------------