Query regarding LEAP-authentication

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:43:06 CET 2011

Hi all.

I am trying to connect to a network, via LEAP authentication.

When I open 192.168.1.1 (IP address of my router), and visit the "wireless"
section, I see that there are four different options
1. Radius
2. WPA Enterprise
3. WPA2 Enterprise
4. WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

2., 3., 4. are obvious. I believe 1. indicates that the router (access
point) supports LEAP authentication. (I ask this, because I have read at
many places, that LEAP-authentication requires support from the
access-point.)

So, assuming the above is true, I proceed further.

Now, at 192.168.1.1, besides the obvious settings for WPA/WPA2, there is
also a setting for "WEP" keys (which I believe is requried for LEAP
authentication). Fair enough. I have set a WEP key.

Now, I try to connect through nm-applet.

nm-applet asks me two parameters (besides the obvious ones, like SSID,
etc.) :
a. Username
b. Password
*
Now, my query is, what do these two parameters correspond to ? (The most
obvious answer is that they correspond to username-password, as set in
"users" file for the freeradius server - the obvious pair that is used in
TTLS, TLS and PEAP authentication. But then where does WEP keys come into
picture ??)*

Obviously, I ask all this because I am unable to connect via
LEAP-authentication :-)

Regards,
Ajay