FreeRadius radrelay and proxying the Realm attribute to the home_server

Arch Mangle archmangle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 14:52:39 CET 2011

Hi List

I have a working radrelay configuration running on FreeRADIUS Version
2.1.10 for debian linux (squeeze/sid). It successfully duplicates radius
accounting packets from the detail file to the remote server. However, I
see that the "Realm" Attribute, while logged in the detail file of the
local system, is not written to the radrelay detail file and proxied to my
remote server.

For easing my particular process of radius accounting/billing, I'd like to
have this attribute written to the radrelay detail file in addition to that
of the local server. How would I accomplish this ?

Here's what a typical accounting packet looks like on my local server's
detail file (the proxy-ing server):

---
Fri Dec 16 13:16:00 2011
        User-Name = "morpork at ankh.morpork.org"
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        NAS-IP-Address = 199.55.541.8
        NAS-Identifier = "199.55.541.8"
        NAS-Port = 1234
        NAS-Port-Type = Async
        Acct-Session-Id = "00001234"
        Acct-Status-Type = Start
        Called-Station-Id = "123456789"
        Calling-Station-Id = "987654321"
        Acct-Delay-Time = 0
        Acct-Unique-Session-Id = "ee50b494e1ff4c15"
        Realm = "ankh.morpork.org"
        Timestamp = 1324034160
        Request-Authenticator = Verified
---

And here's how it typically shows up on my remote_home server's detail file
after being radrelay'ed:

---
Fri Dec 16 13:15:59 2011
        User-Name = "morpork at ankh.morpork.org"
        Service-Type = Framed-User
        NAS-IP-Address = 199.55.541.8
        NAS-Identifier = "199.55.541.8"
        NAS-Port = 1234
        NAS-Port-Type = Async
        Acct-Session-Id = "00001234"
        Acct-Status-Type = Start
        Called-Station-Id = "123456789"
        Calling-Station-Id = "987654321"
        Acct-Delay-Time = 0
        Proxy-State = 0x3435323833
        Acct-Unique-Session-Id = "a1affd962a445d0c"
        Timestamp = 1324034159
        Request-Authenticator = Verified
---

I'd like to write (or otherwise shoehorn :P ) in the "Realm" attribute to
the radrelay detail file. What would be the simplest way to do this? Note
that  my server handles multiple realms.

Many thanks in advance,
Arch Mangle