VSA's and local dictionary

Andrew Long fursink at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:48:49 CET 2011

Greetings,

I am running freeradius-server-2.1.8-0 on CentOS 5.6 and am setting
up some new NAS, Nomadix AG3100. Every so often, when running in debug, the
server reports "Invalid packet code 4 sent to authentication port from client
AG3100 port 1032 : IGNORED".

After searching past threads, I understand there is no way to know
what is being
sent short of sniffing the packets. As I'm not doing much with accounting, I'm
not terribly concerned, but it did prompt me to take a look at the dictionaries
in /usr/share/freeradius. Sure enough, there is a Nomadix dictionary file, but
it lists only 13 attributes (content below), while the vendor supplied list
includes 6 additional VSA's. I read in the dictionary man page that "The
dictionaries in /usr/local/share SHOULD NOT be edited", while
"If you need to add new attributes, please edit the /etc/raddb/dictionary file".

So, the question is, will the following entry in /etc/raddb/dictionary
correctly add the "new" attributes? I have not entered the types yet,
waiting on the OEM for some clarification.

#ATTRIBUTE name number type [vendor|options]
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Qos-Policy	14	[type]	Nomadix
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-SMTP-Redirect	17	[type]	Nomadix
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Centralized-Mgmt	18	[type]	Nomadix
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Group-Bw-Policy-ID	19	[type]	Nomadix
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Group-Max-up	20	[type]	Nomadix
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Group-Max-Down	21	[type]	Nomadix

Thank you for any help.

- Andrew Long

Here is the existing dictionary...
# FILE: /usr/share/freeradius/dictionary.nomadix

# -*- text -*-
#
# Version:	$Id$
#
VENDOR		Nomadix				3309
#
BEGIN-VENDOR	Nomadix

ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Bw-Up				1	integer
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Bw-Down				2	integer
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-URL-Redirection			3	string
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-IP-Upsell			4	integer
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Expiration			5	string
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Subnet				6	string
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-MaxBytesUp			7	integer
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-MaxBytesDown			8	integer
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-EndofSession			9	integer
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Logoff-URL			10	string
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Net-VLAN			11	integer
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Config-URL			12	string
ATTRIBUTE	Nomadix-Goodbye-URL			13	string

VALUE	Nomadix-IP-Upsell		PrivatePool		0
VALUE	Nomadix-IP-Upsell		PublicPool		1

END-VENDOR	Nomadix