radius authentication support for telnet server.

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sun Feb 6 13:30:10 CET 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM, vijay s sheelavantar <
s_vijay65 at rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Friends,
> I want to authenticate telnet users using Free Radius server.
> I have pam_radius_auth.so and configured it for ssh which is working fine.
> For telnet also I have created a file "/etc/pam.d/telnet"  and trying to
> authenticate using freeRadius server. But it is not happening.
>
> Kindly let me know how can i authenticate telnet users using freeRadius?

I didn't test telnet, but most daemons that use pam (like sshd) has a line

@include common-auth

so I simply add

auth sufficient pam_radius_auth.so

on top of /etc/pam.d/common-auth to enable radius auth for everything
(including ssh). Note that:
- you need to edit pam_radius_auth config file first (when using Ubuntu's
package, it's on /etc/pam_radius_auth.conf)
- the user needs to exist already on the server (e.g on /etc/passwd, ldap,
or whatever method you use to store user accounts on the server)

If it still doesn't work, make sure to look at freeradius's debug log (
http://wiki.freeradius.org/index.php/FAQ#It_still_doesn.27t_work.21)

--
Fajar