FreeRADIUS + Cygwin + Active Directory authentication?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Feb 10 10:18:12 CET 2011

Moe, John wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a FreeRADIUS server in our organization, and the
> corporate preference is to run on Windows.  I've got FreeRADIUS to compile
> and have successfully completed the PAP test (from
> http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/pap.html) to make sure it
> works.

  That's a bit of work.  I haven't bothered trying that in a while.

>  Now I'm looking to set up Active Directory authentication.  To do
> that, all the documentation I've read is geared towards Linux servers
> running Samba.  From what I gather, it uses the ntlm_auth program to
> authenticate to the Windows Active Directory, which returns "NT_KEY output,
> which is needed in order for FreeRADIUS to perform MS-CHAP authentication."
>
> Is there a way I can do this on a Windows/Cygwin server?

  Not really, no.  There isn't much point, either.

  The *correct* way to do it on Windows would be to use some Windows
MS-CHAP APIs to authenticate (if those exist).  There could be a
Windows-specific MS-CHAP module.

  But that takes time.

  My $0.02: run a VMware image of Linux on the Windows box.  FreeRADIUS
doesn't need a whole lot of CPU power, so it shouldn't be a problem.