pam_auth_radius

Marc Phillips rmarc at copacetic.net
Thu Feb 17 02:10:46 CET 2011

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this, but
I'll type it anyway.

I have a need to add centralized auth and accounting to
unix boxes (specifically a linux based "appliance."  It's
not really an actual appliance, just a standard linux box that
a vendor provides).

For my normal unix* boxes I have an identity management system.
For appliances and network devices I use Radius, mostly.

For this new appliance, I'd like to use Radius, but I don't want
to manage users or what groups they belong to on the device itself.
I'd like to have the users auth against Radius and then apply a
group based on an attribute recieved.

I've done a little looking and I see no group support for
pam_auth_radius.  One thought I had was to add some sort of auto
provision function to the pam module to add the user and associate
that user with a group via the supplied attribute from radius, then
remove the user on logout.

Any thoughts on this?  Is there some other method that would be
more appropriate?  I have use for this for other psuedo-appliances.
I've tried using LDAP for those, but the chatter with vendor supplied
ldap modules was unmanagable.

R. Marc