SSH - No authenticate method (Auth-Type)

Jaikanth Krishnaswamy jaikanth.krishnaswamy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 02:03:32 CET 2011

Hi All,
I am a newbie to freeradius world.
I am using freeradius 2.1.10 for authorization and authentication.
My authorization works
Sending Access-Request of id 58 to X.X.X.X port Y
        User-Name = "test"
        User-Password = "test"
        NAS-IP-Address = X.X.X.X
        NAS-Port = Y
        Framed-Protocol = PPP
rad_recv: Access-Accept packet from host X.X.X.X port Y, id=58, length=38
The freeradius is setup with an oracle db backend.

 I would like to use the freeradius  for my SSH.
I have read some online blogs and setup my SSH with PAM.

When I establish an SSH Session to the host and this is what I see in the
logs.

ERROR: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) found for the request: Rejecting
the user
Failed to authenticate the user.

If I am using the oracle DB(sql) to perform authorization and it works what
needs to be done to use the same oracle DB(sql maybe other tables) for
authentication.
Need your help or guidance  with some links/documentation on how to set SSH+
Freeradius

Thanks
JK