Generating a Microsoft compatible CSR for FreeRADIUS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jan 20 20:48:24 CET 2011

Sallee, Stephen (Jake) wrote:
> Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that attack vector, kind of like a man-in-the-middle attack, but isn't that what the private key is for, to prevent just that?

  To clarify, they can pretend to be a valid server, because *anyone*
signed by Verisign is a valid server.

  To go one step further, they can have verisign sign a CA, and then use
that CA to create *any* certificate they want, including one which
pretends to be your server.  Most users won't bother reading the entire
certificate chain.  They'll just see "mit.edu" (or whatever) and click "OK".