Freeradius 2.0.5 simple configuration fail

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 13:22:55 CEST 2011

Hi,

> I'm currently trying to set a Freeradius 2.0.5 on a synology NAS which I installed via ipkg.
> I would like to authenticate the wifi users throught a netgear WG103 '802.1x enabled'.
> So i've just modified the users file to add a 'rad' user :
> "rad Cleartext-Password := "rad""
> And added in clients.conf :
> client 10.1.1.16 {
>         secret          = ap_pass
>         shortname       = ap
> }
> I configured the ap according to these settings.
> Everything works fine when using radtest, but when trying to authenticate with the ap, i get the debug output that I put in attached file.

firstly, 2.0.5 is hideously old - and very very buggy.  2.1.x should be
a minimum. can you get your package folk to upgrade their FreeRADIUS package?

secondly, change your default eap type in the eap.conf to peap - you seem to have md5
which means a lot of NAK junk - this streamlines EAP.   you cant do md5 with wireless.

> I suppose the problem comes from :
> "auth: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the request: Rejecting the user
> auth: Failed to validate the user."

from a quick look i'd say things should be okay - make the EAP change and
see if the AP plays nicely

alan