Make the server certificate from Thawte

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 00:12:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

> I want to use the certificate from Thawte. First of all I tried to use
> free SSL certificate from Thawte. I received 3 certificates in
> PEM-format: my Thawte trial SSL certificate, Thawte Trial Secure
> Server Intermediate CA and Thawte Test CA Root certificate in format:
> -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
> text here
> -----END CERTIFICATE-----
>
> I made .pem files from them with no new line in end of file. The eap.conf is:
> private_key_password = (is empty because no password in certificates)
> private_key_file = ${certdir}/trialThawte.pem
> certificate_file = ${certdir}/trialThawteCA.pem

nope.

for private key you need your private key - the one that you made before
making the CSR for thawte

for certificate file you need the trialThawte file

then for CA file you need a file that contains the Server Intermediate CA and Thawte Test CA Root
concatenated together

> 1. no passwords in received Thawte certificates

if you use passwords for the private key then you will
have one

> 3. different pem format is used in RADIUS and is received from Thawte

no. FR uses PEM quite happily

alan