Mac-Auth

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Jul 7 21:21:46 CEST 2011

Paulo Maia <phc.maia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the thing , im trying to use Mac-Auth , I managed to get
> working using authorized-macs files , although i need to use a mysql
> table witch i already have with the ssid and mac-address fields and i
> need to add an operator to expired macs , coz i work at a college
> campus and students mac-addresses need to expire acording to their
> course period.

A far better way is to use 802.1X and get the user to use their username
and password to connect.  Once their course ends, the account is expired
and the student no longer can connect.

If you do go down this route, I strongly recommend you hook up locally
with the local http://www.eduroam.org/ outfit if that is an option for
you.

802.1X (using PEAP) can be now pre-primed on Windows laptops laptops
for free so you can just pass out an installer to the students to get
themselves connected:

https://su1x.swan.ac.uk/

Believe me, collecting and managing MAC addresses is not something I
would wish on anyone.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: "Ninety percent of baseball is half mental."