Mac-Auth

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Fri Jul 8 00:09:02 CEST 2011

MAC-Auth has its place, but I agree with some others this isn’t the best fit.  MAC spoofing = easy.  User gets new NIC or computer = often.

“You” don’t need to do anything on the client.  How about you set a default VLAN with restrictions, a captive portal of sorts.  They don’t need to “login”, but every DNS request lands them on a page that says: You’re not authenticated; you need to follow the directions in this link.  Have a how-to with pretty pictures and stuff, I’m sure there are many already on the web. ACL on the default “GUEST” VLAN restricts their IP access as you see fit.

Bottom line, users can enable / configure 802.1x supplicant themselves with a little guidance.  In the long run you’ll be WAY better off with 802.1x.  IMHO.