General wiki rules

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 14:03:58 CEST 2011

Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org> wrote:

>Ok. I'm not saying these things to be an asshole. The point of moving
>to Gollum was that users would be able to contribute to the bundled
>documentation. The wiki now serves as a repository for server docs (or
>will do once we figure out subtrees), it just also happens to render
>those documents into HTML.
>
>If you were rewriting server documentation which you knew was going to
>be read in plaintext format, would you start adding random HTML markup?
>The point of RST is that while it

I get that, and your efforts are much appreciated. My point was as Alex clarified - it's a pain to indent lines with space/tab in a browser text box. So much so that it will put me off contributing. There are loads of possible solutions - permit <pre>, convert it as per your suggestion, offer a button that uses javascript to indent the current selection...

Personally I find the argument for plaintext docs weakens with every passing year; I routinely read the ISC bind ARM with links in a terminal. But if you're going to use plaintext, and to rule against certain plaintext markup forms, "hit space a lot" is not for me a compelling alternative :o)
--
Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and typos.