Invalid reply digest received? Password encryption?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 10 05:14:10 CEST 2011

Jim Whitescarver wrote:
> Freeradius reports "Sending Access-Accept " (see log below) but we are
> getting the message on our Cisco VPN box
>
> "Radius: Invalid reply digest received; the shared-secret may be incorrect"

  Then the shared secret is wrong, or one end doesn't implement RADIUS
correctly.

> We have triple checked the shared secrete and it is correct.  With the
> wrong secrete it does not authenticate at all.  Any ideas on what else
> might be causing that?
>
> Also, the password comes from the Cisco VPN to freeradius encrypted.

  Then the shared secret is wrong. Debug mode will tell you this.

> I had to resort to including the token in the userid field to make it
> work.  Any ideas how to decrypt the password?  I have tried some tools
> on the net like cisco-decrypt but it says the encrypted password I
> give it is invalid.  I notice users in the users file are
> authenticated properly although the password is encrytped.   I  need
> to decrypt the password in my python module.

  No.  Your python module is forcing "Auth-Type = Accept", even though
the password is wrong.  Don't do that.

  Don't check the secrets.  Re-enter them.  Change them to something
simple like "hello".