eduroam using Eap-ttls and securing user's password

regemailster at gmail.com regemailster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:36:53 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been posted before.

I have a simple question regarding how to ensure the user's password is
never leaked or found out by anyone, including administrators of the radius
server or the backend LDAP server.

My requirement is that I would like to store the user password as a hash
(eg SHA-256) within the LDAP.

Now if I was to use this LDAP server as the authentication source for the
Radius server for eduroam. I would need to use EAP-TTLS with PAP as the
inner authentication (since I don't have a reversible password at the
backend). Now I notice that because it uses PAP, if I enable user-password
logging on the radius server, I can see the user's supplied password when
their machine is authenticating to access eduroam.

This problem is even worse if the user is traveling at a partner's
institution and using eduroam, in that if that partner insititution's
RADIUS server has user-password logging enable, they too can see my user's
password.

I wonder if there's anything that can be done to prevent this, or have I
missed something in my understanding?

Thanks,