chain two authentication modules together

madmatrix hailumeng at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 22:58:38 CEST 2011

Thanks a lot Alexander. I'm familiar with python. So rlm_python might a good
choice for me. The main thing I want to do is to give remote vpn client a
two-factor authentication. Since freeradius, pam and all opensource otp
solution are available, I think free two-factor authentication is doable
instead the expensive RSA solution. So the first authentication is against
our AD. If successful, the system should generate one time password and send
it to user through SMS or the other ways. The user then put otp into the 2nd
challenge prompt. Freeradius authenticate this otp against otp server.

I already tried using pam to authenticate against AD or OTP. I was trying to
use PAM stack to make this happen. But it's hard to put some scripts to send
password to user between the two PAM modules. So I turned to FreeRadius to
see if it can have some ways to do this.

So if I use rlm_python, I can utilize some existing executable files (like
ldapsearch, ldapcompare, otp_auth) to directly authenticate against LDAP and
OTP. To send OTP to user is much easier to do in python too. Am I correct?

Thanks for your help.

Lou