Load Balancing FreeRADIUS with CLUSTERIP

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Thu Mar 3 02:27:23 CET 2011

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
> Randy Wilson wrote:

>> I'm considering assigning a CLUSTERIP to the servers so we can make
>> full use of the resources. Does anyone see any potential issues of
>> using this with FreeRADIUS or know of any caveats I should be aware
>> of?

>  EAP won't work.  It requires multi-packet round trips between one
>  client and one server.

If the hashing is stable (which it is, if I understand the CLUSTERIP
feature of netfilter right) and thus one IP always connects to the same
cluster server, EAP should work as well.

And if one server goes down, EAP sessions in progress at that moment
will fail anyway and need to be restarted with a new target server, no
matter if one uses a classic primary/secondary setup or the clusterip
variant.

Grüße,
Sven.

--