Access Rejects and openSSL Problems (new install)

twobacons wilson.cheng518 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 17:09:48 CET 2011

I just installed FreeRADIUS on Debian.  However, I'm running into a couple
problems.

1.  I can't get localhost RADIUS test to work.  The users file is almost at
its default state except for the new user/pass I created:

user1 Cleartext-Password := "password1"

I keep getting access-rejects when testing user1/password1 on localhost,
this is the debug:

rad_recv: Access-Request packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 53121, id=109,
length=57
        User-Name = "user1"
        User-Password = "password1"
        NAS-IP-Address = 10.1.90.150
        NAS-Port = 0
+- entering group authorize
++[preprocess] returns ok
++[chap] returns noop
++[mschap] returns noop
    rlm_realm: No '@' in User-Name = "user1", looking up realm NULL
    rlm_realm: No such realm "NULL"
++[suffix] returns noop
  rlm_eap: No EAP-Message, not doing EAP
++[eap] returns noop
++[unix] returns notfound
++[files] returns noop
++[expiration] returns noop
++[logintime] returns noop
rlm_pap: WARNING! No "known good" password found for the user.
Authentication may fail because of this.
++[pap] returns noop
auth: No authenticate method (Auth-Type) configuration found for the
request: Rejecting the user
auth: Failed to validate the user.
Login incorrect: [user1/password1] (from client localhost port 0)
  Found Post-Auth-Type Reject
+- entering group REJECT
        expand: %{User-Name} -> user1
 attr_filter: Matched entry DEFAULT at line 11
++[attr_filter.access_reject] returns updated
Delaying reject of request 0 for 1 seconds
Going to the next request
Waking up in 0.9 seconds.
Sending delayed reject for request 0
Sending Access-Reject of id 109 to 127.0.0.1 port 53121

Any idea how to fix the bold part of the debug?

2.  I see this error posted a quite often on the forums, but I can't get it
to go away:

rlm_eap: Ignoring EAP-Type/tls because we do not have OpenSSL support.
rlm_eap: Ignoring EAP-Type/ttls because we do not have OpenSSL support.
rlm_eap: Ignoring EAP-Type/peap because we do not have OpenSSL support.

I've reinstalled debian and ran "apt-get install libssl-dev" before
installing freeradius.  It seems like the openssl lib is not being read...
any help will be greatly appreciated!