Load Balancing EAP with freeradius...

Robert Roll Robert.Roll at utah.edu
Thu Mar 24 13:16:23 CET 2011

 Thanks,

 The following seems to work pretty well for us.

authorize {

  update control {
#    Load-Balance-Key := "%{NAS-IP-Address} %{NAS-Port} %{User-Name} %{Calling-Station-ID}"
    Load-Balance-Key := "%{Calling-Station-ID}"
  }

I had taken a snap shot of unique client-mac addresses we
encountered over about a 3 month period. That came to 28,874.
Doing a test with balancing off of the client-mac addresses, the hash
seems to create nearly equal "buckets".  My test was with 4 backend
servers behind a load balancer...

Again thanks,

Robert