rlm_linelog and syslog over UDP

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 25 15:30:43 CET 2011

Stefan Winter wrote:
> are there any plans to add logging to *remote* syslog servers to the
> rlm_linelog module? Would be kinda cute; we want to log authentication
> results to a central statistics collection host - and going through
> re-send on the local syslog instance is a superfluous extra step.

  I see what you mean, but that involves writing a module which opens a
UDP socket to a remote syslog server, and then creates syslog-formatted
messages.  That's probably not hard (~500 lines?), but not a priority
right now.

  RFC 5424 also says that TCP/TLS should be preferred to UDP for sending
to remote machines.

  So sure.. send a patch. :)