ldap server connection timeout

Daniel Davidson danield at igb.uiuc.edu
Mon May 2 23:36:04 CEST 2011

My new wireless network tested great, but now that I have rolled it out
to the entire building, I get error messages like:

Mon May  2 15:15:06 2011 : Error: rlm_ldap: ldap_search() failed: Timed
out while waiting for server to respond. Please increase the timeout.

And when these trigger, nearly everyone gets disconnected for about 5
seconds.  Possible relevant code from ldap module:

ldap {
   #private stuff
         ldap_connections_number = 15
         timeout = 10
         timelimit = 10
         net_timeout = 5
}

The only existing firewalls are on the machines themselves and the ip
range of the servers are open with each other.  Any ideas?

Dan