Problem to start the daemon

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed May 11 10:19:07 CEST 2011

Hi,

>    I’ve installed the latest freeradius version (freeradius-server-2.1.10)
>    from source!
>
>    SO, I configured it and tested it with the command [radiusd -X] and it is
>    ok!
>
>    Now, I would to start the daemon in a normal way (/etc/rc.d). I copy the
>    rc.radiusd into /etc/rc.d but nothing is started. Try to start like :
>    /usr/sbin/radiusd nothing is started…

you ran radiusd -X as root which means theres likely to be files left around with root level
permissions... if you check the log file you should see where it is failing.... or run
radiusd manually as the user you have it configured to run as and you will see the error
on the screen...usually some /var/log or such - or, also common, the rc.d script is trying to
put a PID file into a directory which doesnt exist or cannot be created.

alan