Compiling from source

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Sat May 14 14:43:07 CEST 2011

On 05/13/2011 05:28 PM, Tim McNabb wrote:
> I can actually build just fine, and get FR to run and process the
> requests. I guess what I’m trying to do is maintain the installation
> structure as the HOWTO’s generally show on the interwebs, while also
> enabling the features that I enjoy using through CentOS such as the
> service command JRunning CentOS 5.5 if that helps.

If your fundamental problem is some third party software is looking for
something in a different location have you considered just using a symlink?

If not the easiest way to maintain the existing structure, but tweak it
slightly is to tweak the SRPM and rebuild the SRPM. Plus you'll get the
advantage of having it be a package install which means you're not
fooling the system and you can trivially uninstall/reinstall/update and
be guaranteed the right things happen. It also will mean your result
should be compatible with RHEL/CentOS (unless you break something :-)

Basic instructions for how to obtain and build the SRPM can be found here:

http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red_Hat_FAQ

In your case it sound like all you need to tweak will be in the spec
file and one of the files included in the SRPM (e.g. the initscript). If
you have to modify any of the files in freeradius tarball you'll have to
create a patch and apply it in the spec file (a good idea anyway).

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/