documentation and project organization (Was: Using LDAP with EAP-TLS)

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Mon May 16 21:07:46 CEST 2011

If I knew more about it I would take my time to write some ... examples, use cases, case studies, whatever.  But, I can barely get by - each time I think I understand something it turns out I really don't.  I don't want to spread bad info so I say nothing - usually :)

IMHO a good starting point would be a single point of all "authorized" documentation: freeradius.org, Wiki, don't care - but it's frustrating when you find doc that seems legit that conflicts with other doc that also seems legit.  The single source of info then needs to have whatever is there vetted by those that actually KNOW whats what and kept current.

Unfortunately most people don't understand the details of PEAP, *CHAP, GTC, certs, etc. so they simply follow instructions verbatim.  If those instructions are "wrong", skip some steps, or even have basic typo's: it will lead to a lot of frustration not only to the novice user, but the smart people on here that constantly address the same "simple" issues.

I will step up to the plate and offer up a standard format for a "Recipe".  I will pick an "easy" deployment scenario - such as: "How do I configure FR to authenticate VTY access to my Cisco gear using AD on the backend, and users must be a member of GroupX"

I'm sure I will get some things wrong, but perhaps "we" can at least settle on a common template/format which will at least help moving forward.