Error: User-Name is not the same as MS-CHAP name

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat May 28 11:26:28 CEST 2011

On 05/27/2011 09:04 PM, Francois Gaudreault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a look at this issue with him since he is one of our client.
> Machine authentications are working flawlessly, windows 7 authentication
> as well (no hostname is sent with the username).

I honestly lost track of this issue; the guy had spread it over a couple
of mailing list posts, and the debug output kept getting sent as either
URLs I couldn't access, or heavily mangled text, so I'm afraid I drifted
away.

Can you summarise in brief the setup you have, and as per Alan's
request, send the full debug output of "radiusd -X" for a failing
authentication. Please don't trim or edit the output.

By "summarise your setup" I mean:

  * what clients, and how they're setup
  * what NASes
  * what behaviour you're trying to achieve

I'll repeat something I've had cause to say several times recently:

Either:

  1. The client is sending wrong/mismatching usernames
  2. Something along the way is mangling the usernames
  3. You have configured FreeRADIUS to mangle it

There really aren't any other options.