ldap+freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Nov 9 17:43:43 CET 2011

suggestme wrote:
> I tried the 3 steps that is suggested in FAQ, that isn't working.

  The steps in the FAQ assume that you built the server yourself from
source.  Did you?

  They also assume (step 1), that you read the output.  That will tell
you whether or not the required LDAP libraries and header files are on
your system.  Saying "it didn't work" is the wrong response.  Saying
"there are no libraries" is a better response.  Saying "there are
libraries, but for some reason rlm_ldap isn't being built" is an even
better response.

> Does this mean I should add libdir for rlm_ldap just below the
> '/usr/local/share/doc/freeradius/rlm_ldap' line of radiusd.conf as follows:

  That was a good search to do, but that file is documentation.  It's
not a library module.  So editing "libdir" to point to documentation
won't help.

> When doing "locate rlm_ldap" command I just see rlm_ldap path as
> */usr/local/share/doc/freeradius/rlm_ldap*

  Which then means you don't have the rlm_ldap.so module on your system.
 This means you failed to follow (or understand) step 1 as suggested in
the FAQ.

  If you installed the server from source, ensure that you have the
necessary LDAP libraries and headers installed.  The list of what is
needed is printed during the "configure" stage.

  If you installed the server from a package (rpm, apt-get, etc.),
consult your local OS documentation for how to find the rlm_ldap package.