users file

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Nov 21 23:56:28 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Jim Pazarena <jim at paz.bz> wrote:
>>> I do not see any line in the radiusd.conf file which references "users".
>>
>>   It's not.  It's in raddb/modules/files.
>
> Ah. I had my users file in raddb
> NOT in raddb/modules
>
> So I moved it to modules,

You shoulnd'nt.

/etc/raddb/modules/files is the configuration for "files" module. Open
it and you should see this line

        usersfile = ${confdir}/users

... which means "the user file is /etc/raddb/users"

> and a debug start nags:
>   /raddb/modules/users[50]: Expecting section start brace '{' after "DEFAULT
> Auth-Type"

... because you do something you shouldn't :)
Move it back

> The default users file does not have -any- open or closing curly brackets.
> what am I missing? Thanks!

It case you haven't figure it out already, there are many files it
raddb/modules. It's only processed when a section explictly refer to
it. So:
- move users file back to its original place
- make SURE you have "files" in authorize section of
/etc/raddb/sites-available/default
- start FR in debug mode

at that point it will refuse to start if users file is missing. The
debug log will show something like this

 Module: Linked to module rlm_files
 Module: Instantiating module "files" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/files
  files {
	usersfile = "/etc/freeradius/users"
	acctusersfile = "/etc/freeradius/acct_users"
	preproxy_usersfile = "/etc/freeradius/preproxy_users"
	compat = "no"
  }
Couldn't open /etc/freeradius/users for reading: No such file or directory
Errors reading /etc/freeradius/users
/etc/freeradius/modules/files[7]: Instantiation failed for module "files"
/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default[166]: Failed to load module "files".
/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default[62]: Errors parsing authorize section.

--
Fajar