FreeRADIUS EAP-TLS Lookup Client Cert From LDAP DIT

subcon j at telepaths.org
Fri Oct 14 23:43:37 CEST 2011

I've searched for this sort of posting, but found issues unrelated that
responded to my search string, so I decided to post it here.

OK, currently I have Radius authenticating LDAP users via PAP.  Works great.

Imagine I want to store x509 certificate data (specifically a client
certificate) in an attribute in LDAP (perhaps as a binary attribute, etc).

I would like FreeRADIUS, should it be passed a client certificate INSTEAD of
a user/pass, to take the DN of the cert and match it to some attribute which
contains said DN and cert-data.

The ultimate goal of all of this is to allow the continued use of LDAP and
store the certificates (to be compared against) in the tree and not on some
filesystem basis.

Note that I want FreeRADIUS to continue supporting PAP user/pass auth, but
only as a secondary fall-back (e.g: customer doesn't have client cert
installed on machine, but has a user and password).

Is this possible? Does this make sense to you? Let me know if I need to
re-explain anything.

Thank you,

subcon