Using encrypted passwords in users file

sundoo sandu_nastas at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 17:57:14 CEST 2011

Hello, I'm new to FreeRadius and to linux. Maybe this question will sound
stupid, but I really need you help.
I have a server running freeradius.
These are some outputs of the configuration:

*etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf*
# passwd = /etc/passwd
  shadow = /etc/shadow
# group = /etc/group

*/etc/freeradius/users*
test1 Auth-Type := Crypt-Local, User-Password :=
"$1$NzW2iwkn$ygDcJgb4WhAEqQYfySFkj/"
        Service-Type = Administrative-User,
        Cajun-Service-Type := 3,

*/etc/shadow*
test1:$1$cnEh49V6$Q.68mw.3P5rgmsfhbo/iC1:15217:0:99999:7:::

I would like to change the password for the user test1. But in the users
file I see only the encrypted password. Where is the original password
stored ?

How do I change it ?

Thanks a lot for your help.