CoA proxying again

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 6 18:50:59 CEST 2011

Bjørn Mork wrote:
> I am trying to setup CoA proxying to a number of Juniper MXes.  These
> are a bit clumsy to configure as CoA servers: The CoA clients cannot be
> configured explicitly.  Instead they reuse the auth/acct configuration,
> including secret, for CoA clients.

  Hmmm...  no.  Clients are global across *all* "listen" sockets.  If
you want clients tied to a particular socket (auth/acct/coa), see the
"clients" entry in the "listen" section.  This is documented in
radiusd.conf.

> So I have a few hundred CoA servers (NASes), and 3 radius servers
> authorized as CoA clients.  Using FreeRADIUS to proxy CoA requests from
> ther real CoA clients looks like a perfect solution.
>
> My problem is that the configuration seems a bit clumsy, given that I
> cannot really change neither IP address nor secret from what's already
> there in the FreeRADIUS client definition.  It would have been ideal to
> just add a flag or whatever, saying that "this client is also a CoA
> server", and allowing direct proxy to it using some virtual attribute.

  Hmm.. so that would re-use the normal client IP && shared secret for
CoA servers?

> My current working configuration requires a separate static home_server
> and home_server_pool definition pointing to it for *each* NAS, as the
> only way I've found to redirect the CoA packets is by setting
> Home-Server-Pool.

  Yeah... that's a bit awkward.

> The documentation talks about Proxy-To-Realm as well, but I've been
> unable to find any parameter allowing me to configure a realm for
> CoA. realms only have auth{_pool,host} and acct{_pool,host} AFAICT.

  Yeah, you can't proxy to a CoA realm.

> The per client CoA configuration doesn't look like anything I can use at
> all.  If I understand it correctly, that's only for the *CoA clients*.

  Yes.

> Is this a correct view of the current (2.1.x) state of CoA proxying, or
> did I miss something?

  It's pretty much correct.

> I believe I saw a request for dynamic home servers recently.  Looks like
> that might be something for me as well.

  Maybe.  Or, having less work to say "this client can also receive CoA
requests".

  That might be easy to add for 3.0.