Windows Pre-Login Auth

Scott Hughes scott at renshawauto.net
Fri Sep 9 16:00:32 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I have been using FreeRadius for several years now and am stuck trying to
make our Windows based wireless system authenticate PRIOR to user login.

I have searched the FreeRadius and Deploying FreeRadius sites as well as
Google, but no luck.  Here is a brief over-view of my FreeRadius setup:

1)      Clients: Windows XP & Windows 7 (Professional in both cases - NO
VISTA!)

2)      Currently running FreeRadius version 2.0.5

3)      Currently authenticating users via TLS/PEAP with computer
name/username

I'm not sure what else (if anything) you might need.  I am also looking at
changing the FreeRadius setup to authenticate against our Windows 2008r2
Active Directory servers. We have one main location and two remote sites.
Currently we have only one FreeRadius server at the main site. If the VPN
connection between the main site and either / both of the remote sites goes
down, the remote sites can't authenticate. My thought was to have three
FreeRadius servers that would authenticate to the local copy of the AD.
Having said all of this, I do not want to get to many things going at one
time. I much prefer to tackle on issue at a time.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have on either/both of these
issues.

Scott