Best Practices - maximum NAS entries in clients.conf

Sallee, Stephen (Jake) Jake.Sallee at umhb.edu
Mon Sep 12 16:04:53 CEST 2011

@ everyone

We have about 100 NAS entries in our clients.conf file, it makes the file a bear to deal with but the server seems to handle it fine.  We will be expanding our infrastructure soon and the number of NAS entries will increase significantly.  At what point should we think about putting them into a database for FR to use?

Also, I have seen some chatter on the list about dynamic NASs.  Am I correct in assuming that if we are using a DB instead of the clients.conf file we can add or remove clients simply by making changes to the correct table, all without having to restart FR?

Jake Sallee
Godfather of Bandwidth
Network Engineer
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor