Confused what to do next~How to understand FreeRadius

snan4love snan4love at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:25:13 CEST 2011

Hello Everyone:
Thank you very much for opening this topic.
I have worked on FreeRadius for almost 2 monthes,my purpose is to set up a
Radius server which could be used for authentication , authority and
accounting for my WLAN.

Right now, I "guess" i have finished the "Authentication Step". I installed
the Radius server + MySQL on my FC 14 host,there is a client AP connect to
this radius server, the users hold Windows XP laptop could get
authentication from radius server via PEAP or EAP-TLS.
Here is a first little problem.Right now i could add and delete user in the
radcheck table of MySQL,but all the passwords were stored in cleartext?is
this the only way to store this password? is it safe enough?is it could be
store in the format of ****** like what we set in the wpa-psk mode?

Most Seriously, I am confused how to implement the "Authority Step" and
"Accounting Step".
For the "Authority Step",in my thought, I should create several different
GROUPs, each GROUP has different authority,and then divide the users into
different GROUPs and get different  authority. Is that correct?
For the "Accounting Step",i used DaloRadius,but found out there are few help
for this web base management system online, and the MANUAL will cost
$250.And also the additional  mySQL tables makes me more confused.
I want to know if there is a example that set up the authority and
accounting features of FreeRadius?or just give me a little hints about where
to start it step by step.I know there is a really big question. Any hints
will be really help,any useful docments and links will be really appreciate.
For example, there are 9 tables in the defalut mysql scheme, like
radcheck,radacct,nas,radgroup,radgroupreply etc, is there a document to
describe these features?
I read all the .conf files couple of times ,but still confused about this
stuff.