++[mschap] returns reject

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Sep 28 21:18:14 CEST 2011

scoth wrote:
> I'm stuck in my testing.  I have configured and reconfigured my freeradius
> and keep getting back to the same error:
> [mschap] ERROR: User-Name (RC24558\jojo) is not the same as MS-CHAP Name
> (jojo) from EAP-MSCHAPv2

  That data is sent by the Windows box, and isn't under the control of
FreeRADIUS.

  Sometimes Windows does this... I'm not really sure why.

> I was able to use the mschap-username to successfully authenticate to ldap
> but then fail in the authentication because the usernames are not the same.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

  Set up a fake user account with a username "test", and password
"hello".  Do the same test.  If you get the same error, submit the debug
output to bugzilla.freeradius.org.  I'll see if there's a way for the
server to figure out the correct thing to do here.