FreeRADIUS Beginner's Guide

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Sep 29 09:48:04 CEST 2011

Alexander Clouter <alex at digriz.org.uk> wrote:

> The content is generally rather good, and aside from a few typos, the
> book is let only on some relatively *minor* points:
>
> [snipped]
>
> * unfortunately short EAP section, ignoring session resumption and why
>        particular EAP methods meet particular needs
> * EAP tests done with JRadius and not eapol_test

Okay, I only had gotten to page 200 of 300, a smidgin before the EAP
section.  The details regarding the particulars of the EAP methods are
covered (although session resumption unfortunately is not) and a
footnote exists for eapol_test...but I do think a configuration example
for eapol_test is far better (especially as it is just wpasupplicant
along with all it's documentation; trivial to then use the same config
in wpasupplicant).

One thing that is a shame is the EAP/(T)TLS/PEAP bits make no mention of
certificate *subject* validation...only CA pinning which is a shame.
One without the other is generally pointless, you might as well not
bother at all :(

> The price is reasonable, and if you are a complete newbie, it will get
> you on your feet.  The book definitely does what it says on the tin and
> I would give it a 7 out of 10...

I'll bump it up to an 8, as the proxying section is rather nice and
clear... :)

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter