LDAP-FreeRadius-Cisco Switch-802.1x Fails.

Wassim Zaarour wassim.zaarour at navlink.com
Thu Apr 19 14:03:09 CEST 2012

Hi List,

I have set up Freeadius 2.1.10 to authenticate with ldap.
I have a cisco switch and using my Mac Laptop to connect.

If I try to connect using ldap credentials the authentication fails, though
the same credentials work if I use them with radtest on the localhost

If I try to connect using a username defined as clear text in the users
file, the authentication succeeds.

As I understood that ldap will only accept clear text passwords, I am
wondering why the radtest succeeds while connecting from the Mac OS fails,
is the Mac OS not sending the password in clear text?

I appreciate any help understanding this.

Wassim C. Zaarour
Systems & Network Engineer

NavLink (an AT&T Affiliated company)
www.navlink.com

³The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. This e-mail is
intended only for the stated addressee. If you are not an addressee, you
must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the
information contained in this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please inform us immediately and delete it and all copies from your
system.²