redundant load balancing and mschap

McNutt, Justin M. McNuttJ at missouri.edu
Sat Aug 25 00:53:18 CEST 2012

The underlying problem is that I have four production RADIUS servers that all seem to choose the same domain controller, which is not only a lot of load, but it's a bad idea in terms of fault tolerance.

I may try just making each server "choose" a separate DC as its default, for starters, which would get me most of the way there.  The wireless controllers that authenticate against the RADIUS servers *themselves* round-robin among the RADIUS servers, so if one of them - or even two of them - were talking to a DC that is down, a given user's machine is likely to re-attempt authentication and succeed eventually.  We'd hear a lot of complaints that "getting on wireless is slow" but things would *work*.

Anyway, thanks for the insight.  I'll keep banging on it.  If I get an elegant - or at least *stable* - configuration, I'll post something about it here.

--J