Bug/Enhancement request: Race condition with short-term accounting (FreeRadius 2.1.10)

Matthias Nagel matthias.h.nagel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 00:05:09 CEST 2012

Hello,

Am Dienstag 28 August 2012, 23:11:57 schrieb Alan DeKok:
> Matthias Nagel wrote:
> > if two accounting messages for the same session are sent by the authenticator very quickly, the messages may be processed by the radius server in the wrong order. This results into two sessions being accounted instead of one. The second "phantom" session stays open for ever, because it never receives any update and/or stop message.
>
>   This is a well-known issue with RADIUS.  Packets may appear in any order.
>
> > Example:
> >
> > If a supplicant authenticates and immediately disconnects again, the following steps are executed:
> >
> > 1) The authenticator sends an accounting start message
> > 2) The authenticator sends an accounting stop message immediately
> > 3) The RADIUS server receives the start message and assigns it to thread #1
> > 4) The RADIUS server receives the stop message and assigns it to thread #2
> > 5) Thread #2 terminates first and the accounting stop message is written to the PostgreSQL database. The SQL UPDATE statement fails, because there is no entry for this session that could be updated, as the start message has not been processed yet. Hence, an INSERT INTO statement is executed as a fail-over measure.
> > 6) Thread #1 terminates and an SQL INSERT statement is performed in order to log the start message.
>
>   That doesn't make sense.  If the table indexes are set up correctly,
> the SQL insert will fail at step (6).  The module will then try the
> update query, which should succeed.

This is correct, if one has some kind of key to identify a session that could be used as a database index. But unfortunately there are a lot of authenticators out there, that do not correctly generate radius accounting session ids. Basicly I see three different types (despite the correct one):

1) Authenticators that do no send a session id at all (Acct-Session-Id is empty)
2) Those that always return the same session id (even if the user name differs)
3) Those that always return a new session id even if the requests (start/update/stop) belong to the same session

Of course one can try to use other attributes to construct an own artificial identifier which is actually done by the "unique" module. But the question is, what attributes should be used?

If one uses "user-name", "nas-ip-address", "calling-station-id" and friends, then the same session id might be used for different sessions. For example, one session by the same user from the same supplicant in the morning and a new session in the afternoon. So the result is the same as in case 2)

If one includes some timestamp related information, the session identifier is always changing. This means we are faced with case 3).

Hence, at the moment my SQL query does not rely on identifiers at all, but does the following:

1) If a start request comes in, just create a new row in the database

2a) If a update/stop message comes in, select all rows that have the same user name, nas ip address and some other identical columns and that do not have a stop time. This is to say, select all possibly matching and running sessions. Then order these session by update time and take the most recent one. This row is then updated with the new information

2b) If 2a) fails, because there is no row in the selection, create a new row as in 1)

Of course this procedure relies on the correct order of the radius messages.

> > The result is, that the same session is accounted with two entries in the database. The first entry is complete, this is to say it has a start and stop time. This is the result of step 5. The second entry is incomplete, i.e. it only has as start time. The latter never will be completed, because the stop message has already been processed and acknowledged to the authenticator.
>
>   That is a database consistency issue.  You can't have two rows using
> the same keys.
>
> > But I would like to propose the following solution. Instead of assigning incoming requests to the thread pool randomly, first preprocess the request and assign requests that have identical user names (or some other senseful attribute) to the same thread. This way requests that might belong to the same session are processed by the same thread and cannot outperform each other. Requests that never can belong to the same session are still processed concurrently.
>
>   That is not going to happen.  It's a bad fix.
>
>   The correct fix is to use the SQL indexes.

I can see your point. Do you have any other suggestions to solve the issues? (Changing the hardware is not going to happen.) Any ideas for a more sophistcated SQL query that does not rely on identifiers (see above)?

>   Alan DeKok.

Best regards, Matthias Nagel

> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html