rlm_perl and Threaded Perl??

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 14 14:54:08 CET 2012

Simon Earthrowl wrote:
> Limitations so far:
>     4 million dial-in potential users (16 million gets a bit slow - so
> looking for other improvements)

  You need to design your solution VERY carefully.  Scaling to 4M users
isn't the same as 1K or 100K users.

>     In bound transaction rate (sustained mix of 1:1.5 of radius
> authentication:Radius accounting) 2048
>     Response time (so far and improving) < 500mS (current gains are from
> reworking MySQL data tables, structures, and indexes)

  Response times of 500ms is RIDICULOUSLY bad.  You have a catastrophic
design decision somewhere.

  Find it, fix it.

> CPU utilisation is still low (as reported by VSphere) ~15% ie MySQL is
> running well, and so is FR. Packet loss increases to 10% 2.5K
> transactions/sec.

  My smart phone can handle 2.5K RADIUS packets/s.  It's the REST of the
system that needs fixing.

> I am looking to use activeMQ to relieve some of the 3ggp (3ggp-Location
> etc.), add enrichment; and then ultimately manage quotas with overuse
> getting PoD.

  You're again talking about a solution.  Is using activeMQ a
*requirement*?  Or is it a potential solution?

> I'll be testing a local activeMQ server later today, with a view to
> either give it up as a bad idea, or to find some other way (postath
> database processing?).

  To do... what?  Find out what you need to do per request.  Make it as
cheap as possible.  Do as little work as possible per request.
Post-process as much as possible.

> My feeling is that I've yet to unleash the real power of FR; but it's
> far from obvious to me, as to how to improve MySQL performance with FR.
> Reading others: dumping MySQL (albeit in a MySQL configuration -> local
> file + reload) way seems the next step.

  For 4M users?  Not a good idea.

  I've built multiple systems with many-millions of users.  It requires
a bit of care, but it's possible.