Radius Self Service

Peter Moreton Peter.Moreton at cbi.org.uk
Thu Feb 16 11:21:37 CET 2012

DISCLAIMER: We are a Windows-shop, and this is our first Linux server deployment, so I'm having to ask newbie questions, sorry about that!

I have a working RADIUS server, "RADIUS01" running Centos/Freeradius. Freeradius is configured to store username and PIN-style passwords in MySQL. To go live with our RADIUS implementation, I have been tasked with making the selection of PIN's a self-service process. I'm considering an email-based approach where user at foobar.org.uk can email PIN at foobar.org.uk in order to achieve PIN maintenance. (I understand the risk of email header spoofing).

Since I don't know Linux terribly well, I'm asking the group if my proposal is a sensible approach? Am I re-inventing any wheels? Should I consider an alternative method?

Thanks

My brief spec:
RADIUS01 would be extended to use SENDMAIL and some Perl or similar processing to monitor a predefined email account such as PIN at foobar.org.uk

Sending a blank email to PIN at foobar.org.uk will respond with:

Reply with a Subject line of :
                SENDPIN              - To send your current PIN to your email address
                NEWPIN xxxx    - To set you pin to the value xxxx and confirm by email
                HELP                      - To receive an email with extensive guidance

The Sendmail/Perl script would make calls such as:

  Mysql -u root -p
  <MySQL Password>
  Use radsql
  INSERT INTO radcheck (username, attribute, op, value) VALUES ('janedoe','Cleartext-Password',':=','password');
  INSERT INTO radusergroup VALUES ('janedoe','dynamic',1);
  QUIT

The CBI's (Confederation of British Industry's) registered address is:
Centre Point, 103 New Oxford Street, London WC1A 1DU
Company number: RC000139