2.1.12 segfault with ldap module

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 21 10:09:19 CET 2012

Brian De Wolf wrote:
> After seeing that it looks like it's actually the ldap module causing
> problems, I commented out all of my bits that use the ldap module and
> it doesn't segfault on shutdown.  I also tried it with ldap but without
> TLS enabled and it shut down clean still.

  OK... then it's clearly LDAP.

> Has anyone seen this before?  Any solutions?  For the time being, I
> guess I'll run the ldap module without TLS enabled.  Segfaults, even
> benign ones, seem to get everyone antsy...

  From a quick inspection, the cause is likely that a connection is
still in use by the module, but in another thread.  When it releases a
connection that's still in use, bad things happen.

  I've committed a fix which avoids the problem.  The side effect is
that the server exits while LDAP connections are still open.  It's
imperfect, but there are few better choices.