[OFF-TOPIC] Freeradius and MySQL Cluster

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Feb 27 16:09:15 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM, Antonio Modesto
<modesto at isimples.com.br> wrote:
> I didn't know about the memory limit. So if I have a 10GB database, Must
> I have, at least, 10GB configured for each cluster node?

David posted a link which can help assign memory on data nodes. Short
version is:
- while mysql cluster can store some data on disk, you really should
put it all on memory. Otherwise there wouldn't be much speed
improvement
- only a portion of memory on data node can be used as data memory
- multiple data nodes can add the available data memory, but replicas
trade memory for availability (thus reducing the number of memory for
data)

so if you have (for example) 4 datanodes, 16GB total memory each, and
configure them as 2 node group @2 replicas, don't be surprised if
total usable memory for data is around 10-20 GB.

When your memory is limited and radacct is huge, better keep them separated:
- put tables OTHER than radacct on cluster
- put radacct on normal mysql instance
- store "live" accouting data on cluster

The last part is kinda hard, since you need to create your own
queries. The default sql queries doesn't split "live" (e.g. records
that don't have acct-stop yet) and "archive" data.

--
Fajar