Next release of the server?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 18:06:23 CET 2012

On 05/01/12 16:54, John Dennis wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 10:41 AM, Alan DeKok wrote:
>> Alan Buxey wrote:
>>> no - it is currently not - mainly because of the new methods
>>> used int he SQL/LDAP etc servers. the current config is now different
>>> to the old config...and the old config will cause the new server
>>> to fail at startup. as the new features are fundamental to its
>>> operation,
>>> having some '-compat' flag to stop new features working would be
>>> pointless -
>>> as the new code is designed around the new features.
>>
>> There is still some backwards compatibility code in 3.0 which I think
>> should be removed. Features to support wrong functionality... that
>> later got fixed. For 3.0, it should be just "use the new features"
>
> As a package distributor where users install new package versions this
> is really critical to understand and get right so let me rephrase what I
> think I've heard to make sure we're all on the same page.
>
> Version 3.x is 100% configuration compatible with version 2.x. If
> someone installs 3.x over an existing 2.x install everything will run as
> it did in 2.x, however 3.x features will not be enabled (because they
> exist in the 3.x configuration files which did not replace the existing
> 2.x configuration files during the upgrade). This is guaranteed behavior.
>
> Is this true?

I don't think so.

3.x contains a connection pool abstraction. At least one module (SQL)
has been converted to use this abstraction, and the old config
directives are not processed, and the server will not start without the
new directives present.

There might be an argument to process the old config items into an
internally-created pool statement and print a BIG WARNING. Then again,
maybe not.